Corporate Social Responsibility
At OPEC Systems (OPEC) we are passionate and committed to giving back to our world as much as we can. We are committed to recognising and managing our impact on society and seeing that our own business activities and, where practicable, those of our supplier organisations are being undertaken in a socially and environmentally responsible manner.
Sustainability recognises the interdependence of economic, social and environmental objectives in ensuring the long-term viability of OPEC.
OPEC has an ongoing commitment to providing a responsible working environment for all its employees. Our people are the single most important factor in driving the company forward and, as such, we ensure the highest level of health, safety and welfare for our staff. Our comprehensive procedures and quality management systems have seen the Company achieve AS/NZS 4801:2001 (Occupation Health and Safety Management Systems) and ISO9001:2008 (Quality Management Systems).
At OPEC Systems, being an environmental company, we are acutely aware of our responsibilities as an organisation towards the environment. It is not only our responsibility but our passion. We are committed to reducing our environmental footprint. Our robust environmental management system is certified within ISO 14001. We strive for continuous environmental improvement by the application of guiding principles: reduce, reuse, recycle and replace.
OPEC has a number of environmental initiatives in place, including:
- routinely performing actions to reduce our impact on the environment such as recycling our paper and other waste. This includes ongoing monitoring of our environmental performance;
- supporting working from home for those for whom it is possible to reduce fuel emissions and road congestion;
- making the most of technologies such as Skype, GoToMeetings etc. to communicate with our colleagues and clients in other States and Territories, thus reducing our travel burden on the environment;
- recording and monitoring energy usage and printer usage.
OPEC values looking after the communities in which our employees and customers live and we enjoy the deeper connections we build with them.
OPEC has devoted community days where our employees have cleaned up local neighbourhoods and parklands in Victoria.
We have also sponsored:
- local businesses such as Australian Blacksmiths Association;
- local events such as St Thomas Camp Hill Fete and theatre production ‘Boy out of the Country’;
- local institutions such as University of Sydney School of Biological Sciences; and
- local sports clubs including Southern Cross Rugby Club and the AFL Hunter/Central Coast.
Charitable donations are an important focus for OPEC. We continue to donate money to staff-selected charities. We aim to make a difference to the human as well as natural environment by offering them both a brighter, safer future.
OPEC Systems has in the past and continues to support a number of charitable organisations including:
- Lifeline www.lifeline.org.au
- Beyond Blue www.beyondblue.org.au
- Diabetes Australia www.diabetesaustralia.com.au
- Renovating Matthew www.renovatingmatthew.com/matthews-story
- Royal Flying Doctors www.flyingdoctor.org.au
- National Critical Care & Trauma Response Centre www.nationaltraumacentre.nt.gov.au
- Medical Rescue Foundation www.medicalrescue.com.au
- Barnados Australia www.barnardos.org.au
- Cancer Council www.cancercouncil.com.au
- CDH Australia www.cdh.org.au
- Righteous Pups www.righteouspups.org.au
- Red Cross Bush Fire Appeal www.redcross.org.au
- ACT Fire Brigade www.esa.act.gov.au/actfr
- Cane Toad Eradication Society
- Mercy Ships www.mercyships.org.au
- Project Nafasi www.projectnafasi.com/
- World Vision www.worldvision.com.au
- Live Connection www.liveconnection.org
- Destiny Rescue Overseas Aid www.destinyrescue.org